Dec 20, 2009

The Great 'Merican Novel

This one's for Geoff.  You know who you are.  No one else does.

I've been doing a lot of reading lately which doesn't allow much time for writing on my blog.  I've been toying with the idea of trying to write that great american novel.  I'm thinking that the world will be getting a whole avalanche of new and interesting novels since so many millions of people are out of work with time on their hands.

Which leads me back to reading someone else's work.  Why you ask?  Because I need to find kernels, tidbits and ideas to put in my book.  Plagerism is only borrowing a word here and embellishing on an idea there.  Seriously.  Its how everything has been written  At least in law offices.

I'm getting a good start but I'm not sure who my main character will be or what City/County/Nation the place will be located in, or even what year/century it will be based in.  See, its a good start!  I'm excited. 

I think the idea is the journey and not the end result here that is important.  That's kinda like saying; "its not the winning that matters"; or another favorite;  Money is not everything; finishing with: "the check is in the mail".  Anyway, I digress...

Even if I never get published I'd be in good company.  I can think of many good books that were never published.  Even the great Dr. Seuss suffered a few casualites.  Consider the following Dr. Seuss books that were rejected:

1. The Little Red Fox in the Blender
2. Horton Hires a Ho
3. One Bitch, Two Bitch, Dead Bitch, You Bitch
4. Who Shat in my Hat?
5. Herbert the Pervert likes Sherbert

Here are a few non-published works by unknowns such as:

1. My Pocket Rocket needs a Socket
2. Bi-Curious George
3. Strangers Have the Best Candy
4. Goldilocks and Her Three Tries in Rehab

Remember those Little Golden Books?  Here's a few that never made the shelfs:

1. The Little Boy who Died from Eating All his Vegetables
2. You are Different, and that's Bad
3. Places where Mommy and Daddy Hide Neat Things
4. Nightmares are Real, Nighty Night!
5. The Man in the Moon is actually 'Chuckie'
6. Curious George and the Abandoned Refrigerator

I'd even go so far as to recall a couple of Country Western songs that never made the charts:

1. Mama's so Fat it takes Two Dogs to Bark at her
2. She calls 'em Hooters, I call 'em Saggers
3. My gal's got a shape like homemade soap
4. Mama get a Hammer there's a Fly on the Baby's Head

Well.  That's the best I can do for now.  Gotta get back to developing my Great American Novel.  You gonna wish me luck or what. 

1 comment:

  1. so much to ponder!
    I especially like "you're different - and that's bad!"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails